lunes, 18 de junio de 2012

Steven Wilson Says There Are No Plans For Storm Corrosion To Perform Live



France's Radio Metal recently conducted an interview with British guitarist, keyboard player and vocalist Steven Wilson of PORCUPINE TREE and STORM CORROSION. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Radio Metal: At the beginning, you described STORM CORROSION as very surprising for both PORCUPINE TREE and OPETH fans. Since then, OPETH's album "Heritage" and the STEVEN WILSON album have been released, and you said that, considering those two albums, STORM CORROSION wasn't that surprising. Do you regret that those two records came out before this one? Would you have preferred to released it first, in order to really surprise the audience?

Steven Wilson: No, I think it's probably better. I think it's worked out better in the end. Had STORM CORROSION come out maybe a year ago or two years ago, I think it would probably have got a lot more of a negative reaction than it has. It seems to me that people were a little bit more prepared and a little bit more willing to accept the direction of STORM CORROSION because they'd heard "Heritage" and "Grace For Drowning". For me, the album is very much a kind of final part in a trilogy of records. I guess I'm moving away from the more conventional rock music vocabulary into a more orchestrated, organic world. So I don't regret it, it's worked out very well in this order. I think the album that had the hardest time was probably OPETH's "Heritage". I think Mikael [Åkerfeldt of OPETH and STORM CORROSION] had a very hard time with the metal fans, particularly, accepting their record. But he knew he would, he expected that. But I think in time, this record will come to be seen as a classic and a masterpiece, as all OPETH's albums are.


Radio Metal: On another subject, will you tour with STORM CORROSION?

Steven Wilson: Not this time, no. I think, maybe, if we get to the point where we make a second record, we might think about it. But right now, I'm on tour with my solo album, and Mikael's on tour with OPETH for most of the rest of this year. So it wouldn't be possible anyway. And also, I'm not sure how we would do it. I'm not sure what lineup of musicians could recreate this music live. You heard it, so you know it's very fragile, orchestrated music. I'm not sure how we would do that in a live context. But maybe, if we get to do a second record, we'll have a better idea of how we might do that. I certainly wouldn't rule it out in the future, but we're not doing it for this record.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario